Epson error code 0X97 indicates that your printer has become non-operational. It is a widespread error code that users of various Epson printer models face. However, you must take it seriously as it prevents the printer from functioning. The error message appears on the printer’s LED screen when you are printing and makes the printer shut down. Users of Epson WF-3640, WF-7610, and WF-4630 might be familiar with it. In this post, you’ll learn effective ways to fix it. You don’t need to feel panicked when seeing this error. Try these resolutions for it.
Method 1. Disconnect cables connected to the printer
A good practice to troubleshoot error code 0X97 is disconnecting the cables, such as power cords and USB cords. Cancel pending print tasks and remove the stuck paper in the printing device. Now, hold the ‘Power’ button for one minute and reconnect the cables. If you took out Epson ink cartridges from their slots to fix the paper jam, place them back.
After that, turn on your printer and give a test print command. It is likely that you won’t see the 0X97 error again.
Method 2. Clean the printhead and nozzles
Unclean printer nozzles interfere with optimal printing. It can also cause errors like Epson error code 0X97.
- Unplug every power cable from your printing machine.
- Now open the printer case.
- Take a soft cloth. Dampen it with warm water.
- After squeezing out excess water from the fabric, clean the ink from the printer nozzle.
- For printhead cleaning, soak it in warm water for about 12 minutes.
- Take out the printhead and clean it with a paper towel. It should have no water or ink dirt remaining.
- Let it dry for 20 minutes.
- Now insert the printhead into the printhead section of the printer.
- After that, insert the printer cartridges into their respective sections.
- Now power on the printer and check whether the Epson error code 0X97
Method 3. Find whether ink cartridges are clogged.
You will encounter Epson error code 0X97 in case of clogged ink cartridges. It interferes with the printhead’s functioning.
- Hit the Epson printer’s home button.
- Now tap ‘Setup.’
- After that, choose the ‘Maintenance’ option.
- Now tap the ‘Printhead nozzle check’ option.
- You will see a page with four colored grids getting printed.
- By looking at it, identify the blocked nozzle.
- If you don’t find any gaps in the printhead lines, tap ‘Done.’
- But if you do find gaps or faint lines, tap the ‘Clean the printhead’ option.
- Don’t power off the printer till the printhead cleaning completes.
Method 4. Install ink cartridges again
Another thing that interferes with the usual functioning of the Epson printer and causes error code 0X97 is improper ink cartridge installation.
- Turn on the Epson printing device.
- Raise the scanner cover of the printer.
- Hit the printer’s top button.
- In case the ink cartridge is low on ink, it will move toward the indicator position.
- If this is not the scenario, substitute the cartridge. Do so by holding the ‘Stop’ button for around 6 seconds.
- Locate a tab in the cartridge. Press it to raise the cartridge and remove it.
- Re-insert the cartridge in its place.
- Keep pressing it gently till you hear a click.
- Close the scanner cover.
- Hit the ‘Stop’ button once more.
- Let the printer move the printhead to the position of ‘Home.’
- When the charging of the ink finishes, the power light will not blink.
Method 5. Use the Windows troubleshooter.
Both Windows 8 and 10 users can use the inbuilt troubleshooter to fix this error code.
- Steps for Windows 8 users
- Hit the Windows logo key on your keyboard and input ‘troubleshooter.’
- Now choose the ‘Troubleshooting’ option.
- In the ‘Hardware and Sound’ section, tap ‘Use a printer.’
- After that, click ‘Next.’
- Let the troubleshooter find the issue.
- After it detects the problem, adhere to the on-screen guidelines to fix it.
- Steps for Windows 10 users
- Press the Windows logo key, and in the search space, type ‘troubleshooting.’
- Tap the ‘Troubleshooting settings’ option.
- Tap ‘Printer’ followed by ‘Run the troubleshooter.’
- Wait till the troubleshooter detects and fixes the problem.
- Finally, restart your printer.
Method 6. Get the OX97 Fix Patch
You can perform an Epson error code 0X97 download of the Fix Patch to clear the error. Just head to the official Epson USA website and download the 0X97 Fix Patch. After it downloads, press ‘Scan’ and the ‘Repair’ button on your printer.
Method 7. Update the printer drivers
Sometimes, malware can cause a 0X97 error code. So, try updating the faulty or outdated printer driver.
- Although Epson printer can install the recent driver updates automatically, you can also do so manually.
- Manually install Epson printer updates by going to the Windows Desktop.
- Now, right-tap on the icon of the Epson printer in the taskbar.
- After that, tap ‘Software update.’
- The Printer Settings window will open.
- Here, click the ‘Utility’ tab.
- After that, select ‘Driver Update.
- If you don’t want to perform these steps, head to ‘Start’ in Windows.
- Choose ‘Epson Software.’
- After that, click the ‘Epson Software Updater’ option.
Method 8. Reset your Epson Printer
Resetting your printer functions similarly to the first resolution to fix error code 0X97.
- Begin by removing all the cables from the printer.
- Let the device rest for five minutes.
- Now hold and press the Power button for 60 seconds.
- Press and hold this button while reconnecting every cable.
- Next, hold and press the Power button for 60 more seconds and release it.
- Perform a test print and find whether the error persists.
You don’t need to feel anxious when you see Epson error code 0X97 flashing on your screen. Although it indicates a deeper printer problem, you can fix it effectively. Consult a printer technical expert if you require more guidance on troubleshooting printer errors.