You may not think much about harmless little scraps and pieces of paper. But when they get stuck inside your HP printer, they become a source of serious problems. HP Printer Paper jam is a common issue that stops the printer from working.
Knowing how to clear it is essential for every printer user. Keep reading to find the best solutions for fixing the HP Printer jam issue.
Causes Of HP Printer Paper Jam Error
The following reasons most often result in the HP Printer Paper jam issue.
- Wrongly loaded paper in the tray.
- Accumulation of dust on paper rollers.
- The presence of paper stuck inside the HP printer, which users cannot notice.
- The paper path is blocked by an obstruction.
- The paper in the tray is torn, wrinkled, or damp.
- There are several types of papers in the tray.
5 Methods to Fix HP Printer Paper Jam Issue
The solutions below are proven to resolve the HP Paper jam error.
Method 1. Clear jam from Printer exterior
Follow this procedure if the paper jam is present on the output tray or the external input tray.
- To remove the paper from the output and input trays, examine the places where the paper enters and leaves the printer.
- Now, take away the jammed paper from these places.
- Remove the paper jam issue from the automatic document feeder by opening its cover and removing the jammed paper.
- Now perform a test print. You’ll not find paper jams on HP Printer.
Method 2. Clear jam from Printer interior
A paper jam can also occur inside your HP printer. To clear it from the printer’s interior, follow this process.
- Switch off your printing device, and disconnect the cable.
- Remove the paper jam from the ink cartridge access area by opening the access door.
- Clear the paper jam in the HP printer below the paper path cover by removing the cover.
- To eliminate jam from the input tray, pull the tray out, and take away the jammed paper.
- If the jam has occurred on the bottom cleanout door of the printer, lift the printer and look under it.
- Now, remove the stuck paper from here.
- After clearing the jam from all these places, plug the power cord back, and connect the cables.
- Switch on your HP printer, and start printing.
Method 3. Clear the paper rollers
Cleaning paper rollers within HP printers will also allow you to fix this issue. Here’s how to remove a paper jam from HP Printer by cleaning the rollers.
- Find a lint-free cloth, distilled water, and a lint-free cotton swab.
- Next, turn off your HP printer by pressing the power button.
- After that, remove the power cord from the printer’s back side.
- Now, hit the tab on the left part of the rear access door.
- Immediately after, pull out the door to remove it.
- Dampen your lint-free cloth with some water. It should not be dripping wet.
- Gently press this cloth against the roller.
- While doing so, rotate the rollers up using your fingers.
- Now, use some pressure to eliminate the accumulation of dirt or dust.
- After that, peek within the rear access area of your printer.
- You will find pick rollers behind and under the paper feed rollers.
- Take the cotton swab and dampen it. Use it to wipe the pick rollers.
- Wipe the surface and the rollers in the rear access door like before.
- Ensure that every roller can turn freely.
- After cleaning the rollers, let them dry.
- Now, attach the rear access door back.
- Relink the power cord and hit the power button.
- When the printer turns on, print a status report.
- Most likely, you won’t encounter an HP Printer paper jam.
If you find the paper jam HP printer error in Officejet Pro 8600, clean the rollers in the duplexer.
Method 4. Clean rollers in the duplexer
- Moisten a lint-free cloth with water.
- Press it against the outer rollers, and rotate them up.
- Use some pressure to remove dirt accumulation.
- Press the tabs at the end parts of the duplexer.
- Its cover will open.
- Now, press the cloth against the rollers in the interior.
- Rotate them using your fingers and remove dirt buildup.
- Wait for 10 minutes for the rollers to dry.
- Close the duplexer cover and push it into its place.
- Relink the power cord to your printer and turn it on.
Method 5. Hard Reset HP printer
Another great resolution for the paper jam HP printer problem is to conduct a hard reset. This technique consists of doing a hard reset and printing a printer status report.
1. Steps to do a hard reset
- Switch on the printer.
- Let it go idle and silent.
- Now, disconnect the power cord from its rear.
- Unplug the cord from the source.
- Wait for a minute before plugging the power cord into the source.
- Reconnect the cord to the printer’s rear.
- Switch on the printer.
- Now you will see the printer going through a warmup period wherein its light flashes and carriage moves.
- Let the warmup period finish.
2. Steps to print an HP Printer status report
- Load paper into the printer’s tray.
- Now hit the ‘Setup’ button.
- Choose ‘Tools’ by pressing the ‘Down’ arrow.
- Now hit ‘OK.’
- Choose ‘Printer status report’ by pressing the down arrow and pressing ‘OK.’
- The printer will print the status report.
- If the printer can print this report, you can stop troubleshooting. It means that the HP printer paper jam has been fixed.
Some Tips to Prevent HP Printer Paper Jam
The following tips will help you to avoid facing the paper jam issue.
- Load the paper properly by tapping the bottom part of the paper set on a stable surface. It will ensure that it isn’t uneven on any side.
- Avoid loading the tray with more paper than needed.
- Ensure that your HP printer is compatible with the kind of document you are using.
- Avoid using torn, wrinkled, or damp paper.
- Use only a single type of paper.
- Load paper in the input tray when the printer is off.
Now you wouldn’t feel too concerned about witnessing a paper jam in an HP printer. Just use this guide and fix printer errors from the inside and outside. In addition, use the tips at the end to minimize the possibility of encountering this issue. Consult an expert printer technical support service if you need more clarity on any technique.