Sometimes, you may need to reset your HP printing device due to technical issues. Many printer problems can be easily resolved when you know how to reset your HP printer. The process entails restoring the device to its factory default settings. This process does not reconfigure the page count, language, or tray size. You can reset the printer to factory settings or reset its password. In this article, you will find out clear stepwise instructions on resetting the printer.
How to Reset HP Printer to Factory Settings
Restoring the factory-set default setting is an extremely simple process. Use this procedure to reset HP LaserJet Pro color printers.
- Firstly, turn off the printer.
- Take away the power cord from the device for half a minute.
- After this period, reconnect the cord.
- Now, switch on your HP printer.
- Do it while pressing and holding the ‘Resume’ button for around 20 seconds.
- You’ll notice the Attention light turning on.
- Let go of the ‘Resume’ button.
- The Attention and Ready lights will come and go.
- During this time, your HP printing device will go into factory default settings.
Perform Out of Paper HP Printer Reset
You might often get an error message regarding the paper is empty. This situation can be dealt with effectively by performing an out-of-paper reset.
- Let the printer remain powered on.
- Take out the power cable from the machine’s back.
- Now unplug the cable from its wall outlet.
- Wait for about 15 to 20 seconds.
- After that, plug in the power cable to the printer’s back.
- Plug the power back into its wall outlet.
- Power on your HP printer and perform a test print.
- This troubleshooting will help you eliminate the out-of-paper error message.
Use HP Smart App to Reset the Password of the HP Printer
Are you wondering how to reset your HP printer password? Well, there are various methods to do so. However, doing so with the HP Smart app is one of the most effective ways.
- Let your printer remain on.
- Now, hold and press the Wi-Fi and ‘Cancel’ buttons together.
- Your printer will come into setup mode.
- On your Android or iOS device, download the HP Smart app.
- In the app, select ‘Printer setup.’
- Now go down and select ‘Advanced Settings.’
- Choose ‘Settings and Security.’
- From the drop-down menu, tap ‘Password settings.’
- Finally, select a new password for your printer.
How to Reset HP Printer Software
You can also reset your HP printer to factory defaults by opening the printer software. Follow these pointers to carry out a software reset.
- Go to the printer software.
- Head to the ‘General’ tab.
- Once there, pick the ‘Reset factory settings’ option.
- Look below ‘Reset firmware.’
- Next, tap ‘Reset.’
- You will see a message coming on the screen.
- It will ask you if you desire to reset the printer.
- Hit the ‘Yes’ option.
- That’s it. Your HP printer will go into the factory default settings.
Reset the Hardware of the HP Printer
There is also a hardware reset method. It resets the printer’s settings to their original defaults. You can also perform this sequence if you need to reset the ink levels of your HP printer.
- Open the cover of your HP printer.
- Next, find the ‘Reset’ button.
- Keep pressing and holding this button for around 5 seconds.
- You will view a message asking you to confirm if you want to reset the printer.
- Tap ‘Yes’ on the answer.
- Your printer will reconfigure to factory default settings.
- However, if you want to perform only a hard reset, hold the ‘Power’ button for four seconds.
Reset HP Photosmart Printer to Default Settings
Are you an HP Photosmart printer user? If so, you will need to learn how to reset the HP printer to factory settings on this model. Here is the procedure applicable to most Photosmart printers.
- Launch the ‘Support’ or ‘Setup’ menu.
- If you don’t have these options on your printer, search and press the ‘Menu’ button.
- Now choose either ‘Preferences’ or ‘Tools’ depending on your Photosmart printer model.
- Choose ‘Restore factory defaults’ or ‘Restore defaults’ according to your printer model.
- Remember that some Photosmart models can have this button with the Factory Reset name.
- The restore process will begin when you confirm the action.
- After the restore finishes, your printer will be back to its factory settings.
Network Reset Your HP Printer
You can also perform a network printer reset via the LCD control panel. HP printers without an LCD control panel can also do a network reset. Here are the steps for performing the reset via the LCD control panel.
- On the printer’s control panel, hit the ‘Menu’ button.
- Head to the Network Settings menu using the arrow button.
- Hit ‘OK.’
- Now go to the ‘Reset Network Settings’ via the arrow buttons.
- Hit the ‘OK’ button.
- You will see a message asking if you would like to reset the network settings.
- Tap ‘Yes’ on it.
- The printer will now be reset to its factory default settings.
If your HP printer does not have an LCD control panel, you can reset it by holding and pressing the ‘Wireless’ button on your printer. Hold and press it for 10 seconds to let complete the network reset.
How to Reset HP Printer Through the Printer Web Page
A factory reset restores modifications made to a device by a user. If your HP printer is linked to a network and you have EWS access, it’s easy to reset the printer from its web page.
- Launch a web browser on your system.
- Now, input the IP address of your HP printer on the address bar.
- Hit Enter.
- The home page of your printer will open.
- Sign in as an admin.
- Head to ‘General’ followed by ‘Restore factory settings.’
- Now, go to the ‘Reset firmware’ area.
- Choose ‘Reset.’
Hopefully, after reading this article, you’ll have no problem resetting your HP printer. Choose any of the methods as per your preferences. If you need more help fixing printer errors of any sort, connect with a printer technical support service.