One of the worst printer issues that may arise is the printer being in an error state. Users of HP devices are well familiar with it. When you find HP Printer in an error state, the printer just won’t give any output. So, you must know how to fix such a technical fault in your system.
In this article, we’ll lay down every effective troubleshooting technique for it.
How to Fix HP Printer in Error State Issue
Low ink, jammed state, and corrupt printer drivers are major causes of this issue. Use these resolutions one by one.
1. Confirm a stable printer connection with the PC
Confirming printer connection with the computer means that your PC is recognizing your HP device.
- Head to the ‘Control Panel’ using the ‘Search’ menu.
- Now, go below ‘Hardware and Sound.’
- Tap on ‘View Devices and Printers.’
- There will be various installed devices.
- Select your printer.
- Look at the ‘Status’ field of the printer.
- It must say ‘Ready.’
- Additionally, check that the cable is plugged into your system and the HP printer.
2. Ensure that your printer isn’t offline
An offline printer will inevitably cause an HP Printer in an error state Windows 10.
- From the Windows search bar, open the ‘Run’ box.
- Here, input the control panel and tap ‘OK.’
- Choose the Devices and Printers option.
- From the list of printers, right-tap on your HP printing device.
- Uncheck the ‘Use printer offline’ option.
3. Make changes in the port settings
Making changes in the port settings is another great fix for this problem. To know how to fix an HP printer in an error state with this method, follow these points.
- Open the ‘Run’ box.
- In it, type ‘devmgmt.msc.’
- Hit ‘OK’ and launch the device manager.
- Tap the ‘View’ menu and choose the ‘Show hidden devices’ option.
- Double-tap ‘Ports (COM & LPT)’ to see the devices in it.
- Right-tap on the printer port.
- From the context menu, choose ‘Properties.’
- Go to ‘Port settings.’
- Tick the option ‘Use any interrupt assigned to the port.’
- Turn off the ‘Enable legacy plug and play detection’ setting.
- Save your applied changes by tapping ‘OK.’
- Finally, reboot your system.
4. Update outdated HP printer drivers
Are you still finding the answer to the query, why is my HP printer in an error state? Outdated printer drivers might be behind the issue.
- Use the ‘Start’ function of Windows to head to the ‘Device Manager’ field.
- Here, select ‘Expand Printers.’
- Now, see if your HP printer shows on the list.
- Right-tap on the printer and select ‘Update Driver.’
- This action will run an update for the printer driver.
- It will update the driver.
- After that, reboot your computer and the printer.
- Most probably, you will not see the HP Printer in error state.
- To confirm the condition of the error, print a test page.
5. Employ the troubleshooter in Windows 10
A tried and tested method to fix printer errors is running the troubleshooter.
- Turn on your printer.
- Ensure that cables are linked appropriately to the system.
- Now, tap ‘Start.’
- Enter ‘Troubleshoot’ in the search area.
- Various options will show up.
- Hit the ‘Troubleshooting’ option.
- It will launch a new window.
- Here, tap ‘View All.’o
- Scroll till you find the ‘Printer’ option.
- In the window that shows, tap ‘Advanced.’
- The troubleshooting for your printer will commence.
- Now, tap ‘Run as administrator.’
- After that, click ‘Next.’
- In a few minutes, the troubleshooter will show the issues in your printer.
- It will also resolve them.
6. Configure the print spooler’s status to automatic
When the print spooler stops working, you’ll encounter the HP printer in an error state Windows 10 problem.
- Open the ‘Run’ box by hitting Windows and R keys simultaneously.
- In the search field of the box, input ‘services.msc’ and hit ‘OK.’
- Now, right-tap on the ‘Print spooler’ option.
- In the window that shows, choose the ‘Startup Type’ to be ‘Automatic.’
- Choose the service status as ‘Running.’
- Hit ‘Start’ followed by ‘Apply’ to save your changes.
- Restart your computer. See if the error still persists.
7. Update Windows 10
If you are operating a very old version of Windows, you’ll face problems like the printer in an error state.
- Launch ‘Settings’ by pressing the Windows + I keys.
- Tap ‘Update and Security.’
- Click the ‘Check for updates’ option. It is in the Windows ‘Update’ tab.
- In case you find updates available, tap ‘Download and install.’
- Finally, restart your system.
8. Examine the ink levels
One of the major causes of HP Printer in error state is low ink levels. Whenever you face this issue, check the ink level on the control panel display. In case they are on their lower end, change the ink cartridge. It will make your HP printer function optimally.
9. Find if your HP printer has a WSD port
You can also check if your printer has Web Services on Devices or a WSD port. It allows printers to have web service.
- Head to the search bar in your Windows system.
- Use it to enter the ‘Control Panel’ area.
- Now, tap ‘View Devices and Printers.’
- In the ‘Devices and Printers’ window, tap right on your HP printer.
- Select the ‘Printer Properties’ option from the dropdown.
- Hit the ‘Ports’ tab.
- Find if there’s a WSD port.
- If your HP printer uses this port, head to the search function of your Windows system.
- Here, input ‘services.’
- Select ‘Services’ and scroll down.
- Find these two options: ‘Function Discovery Provider Host’ and ‘Function Discovery Resource Publication.’
- Examine the columns ‘Status’ and ‘Startup Type.’
- Both must be running.
- Set the startup type as Automatic. You already know how to do it.
- Now, check if you still face the HP Printer in the error state Windows 10.
10. Reboot your HP printer
Sometimes, a simple reboot fixes various issues. Rebooting the printer resolves temporary issues. So, just turn off and turn on the printer. If a minor glitch results in the error state, it will be fully fixed with a reboot.
Noticing the error state on your HP Printer, especially when you need to print something urgently, can be irritating. But you can tide over it with these handy fixes. If you want to fix printer errors or want to know more about troubleshooting, seek the help of a printer technical expert.