Epson printers work well in most cases. But sometimes, they come into an error state, which results in printing getting paused. You may find your Epson printer in an error state because of connectivity problems, issues in software, and a corrupt printer driver. These software and hardware problems prevent your printer from taking your printing commands. If you are facing this issue, read this article for the most effective fixes. Don’t get confused when you are notified of an Epson Printer error state message. Just follow these measures.
Measure 1. Review the connections
Improper connections often cause various printer issues.
- First, see if the main power cable is linked to your printer.
- Now, see if the printer wire is connected to your PC.
- Check if all the wires are clean and undamaged.
- To do so, remove them.
- Wireless Epson printer users should check for proper router and wireless connections.
- If there are issues with the network connections, connect with your system administrator.
- After checking the connection, turn on your printer.
Measure 2: Turn off the printer offline option
The Epson Printer in error state Windows 10 issue arises when you have accidentally turned on the offline printer feature. To disable it, follow these points.
- Access the ‘Run’ dialog.
- Once it opens, input ‘control panel’ and tap ‘OK.’
- Now move to the ‘Devices and Printers’ option.
- Right-tap on your Epson printer from the printer list.
- Choose the option ‘See what’s printing.’
- Tap the printer and examine for a check on the ‘Use printer offline’ option.
- If it is present, remove it.
- Exit the window and start your printing device again.
Measure 3: Ensure you’ve loaded the paper tray properly
Sometimes, you may unknowingly give a print command without loading papers in the tray. If the printer gets a print job but no paper loaded, it won’t give you any results. So, ensure that you have sufficient papers of the right type in the tray.
Gently lift the tray and stack it with at least five sheets of A-4-sized papers. Push the stack completely inside the tray. Now give another print command. This time you won’t find any problems with the printer’s functioning.
Measure 4: Check if the cartridges have adequate ink.
Your printer must have compatible ink cartridges to print anything. If the cartridges are wrong, you will wonder why is my Epson printer in Error state. Review the printer’s manual and ensure that your cartridges are apt for your printer model.
Next, check that the ink levels are not low. Also, check whether the type of paper you are using is compatible with the Epson printer.
Measure 5: Make the Epson Printer the default device.
Setting the printer as default also fixes various issues.
- Find the ‘Control Panel’ section by using the Windows start functionality.
- Next, tap ‘Devices and Printers’ here.
- Right-tap on your printer model.
- Choose ‘Set as default printer.’
- Now, check if the printer is still in an error state.
Measure 6: Reinstall the Printer driver
If you are unsuccessful in learning how to fix the Epson printer in an error state with changes in the settings, try reinstalling drivers. The process is similar to reinstalling the printer.
- Firstly, remove the current printer driver by uninstalling it.
- Now move to the official website of Epson.
- Here, choose to install Epson Connect Printer Setup Utility for Windows.
- Review the agreement, accept it, and tap ‘Next.’
- Now, tap ‘Install.’
- After that, from the menu, choose your product and tap ‘Next.’
- Choose ‘Printer registration’ and tap ‘Next.’
- Tap ‘Agree’ to the license agreement followed by ‘Next.’
- When you view ‘Register a printer to Epson Connect,’ tap ‘OK.’
- You can sign up with your current account.
- Finally, tap ‘Close.’
Measure 7: Examine the spooler service
The print spooler service should function properly for your printer to execute print commands.
- Move to the ‘Run’ dialog.
- Here, input ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
- Right-tap ‘Print spooler’ from the Services window.
- In case the service is not running, tap ‘Restart’ or ‘Start.’
- Ensure that its ‘Startup Type’ is configured to ‘Automatic.’
- If it isn’t, right-tap ‘Print Spooler’ and choose ‘Properties.’
- Choose Startup Type as Automatic from the ‘General’ tab.
- Now tap ‘OK.’
- After performing this process, you will have resolved the Epson Printer in error state Windows 10.
Measure 8: Clear the print queue
If you are wondering why your Epson printer is stuck in an error state, it can be due to pending print jobs in the queue. So, clear it using these steps.
- Open the print spooler using the steps in the previous solution.
- Stop the service by right-clicking on it.
- Now, head to File Explorer on your system.
- Paste the command %windir%\System32\spool\PRINTERS
- Go to the address bar.
- Press Enter.
- You will find all the files in the printer folder.
- Delete all of them and navigate to the Service window.
- Right-tap on ‘Spooler’ and restart the service.
- Switch off your printer.
- After a few minutes, restart it and check if you can print properly.
Measure 9: Update the problematic driver
Apart from reinstalling the Epson printer driver from using their official utility, you can also update it. It is a great fix for those still asking why is my Epson printer in error state.
- In the Run dialog, type devmgmt.msc.
- Hit the Enter key.
- In the ‘Device Manager’ go below ‘Print Queue.’
- Click on your Epson printer.
- Now, tap ‘Update Driver.’
- A window will appear with two options to get new drivers.
- Choose the option, ‘Search automatically for driver.’
- Next, go by the on-screen instructions.
- After completing them, give a test print command.
- Epson printer will not be in the error state now.
Measure 10: Use the Windows troubleshooter utility.
It is one of the most basic fixes for the error state problem in Epson printers. Use this utility through the pointers below.
- Move to the ‘Device Manager’ on your PC.
- Once there, find the ‘Printer’ option.
- Expand this option.
- Now, search for your Epson printer.
- When you find it, right-tap on it.
- Now choose the ‘Troubleshoot’ option.
- The troubleshooter will open
- This utility will start scanning for fixes to resolve the error state issue.
- When it finds a solution, it will automatically resolve the problem.
Now you won’t need to waste your precious time when your Epson printer shows an error state. These resolutions will troubleshoot the issues in settings, software, and hardware components. Still, if you need assistance to fix printer errors, call a printer technical expert.