Canon printers are great for printing high-quality images and documents. But every once in a while, you will encounter technical issues with them. You can fix various issues when you know the proper Canon printer troubleshooting techniques. These include the printer not responding, printing slowly, giving unclear printouts, and paper jams.
Read on to find the best fixes for various Canon printer issues.
1. Fix Canon Printer Not Responding
You can resolve an unresponsive Canon printer in two easy ways. Use these techniques to overcome Canon Printer problems.
Turn off the Use Printer Offline feature
- Go to ‘Start‘ in Windows and type ‘control panel.’
- Tap ‘Hardware and Sound‘ in ‘Control Panel.’
- Click ‘Devices and Printers.’
- Right-click on your printing device, and select the option, ‘See what’s printing.’
- Click ‘Printer‘ and uncheck the ‘Use printer offline‘ feature.
- Tap ‘Printer‘ and then ‘Cancel all documents.’
- Now give a print command and check for the status of the problem.
Delete print jobs from the queue
Print jobs that get stuck in the print queue result in many issues. Clear the queue for Canon printer troubleshooting.
- Launch’ Control Panel.’
- Input’ services.msc’ in the Control Panel’s search area.
- Scroll down in the ‘Services’ window.
- Find ‘Print Spooler,’ right-tap it, and click ‘Stop.’
- Next, launch the ‘Run’ box.
- In this box, enter ‘spool.’
- Hit the enter key.
- Next, launch the ‘Printers’ folder.
- Remove all files present here, and close the folder.
- In the ‘Services’ window, right-click ‘Print Spooler.’
- After that, select ‘Start’.
- Print a page to check for the issue.
2. Troubleshooting Canon Printers for Slow Printing
Use the following measures to make your documents and files print more quickly from a Canon printer.
Employ draft mode
- Use the ‘Control Panel‘ to navigate to ‘Devices and Printers.’
- Right-click on your printer’s name and choose ‘Printer properties.’
- Open the ‘Draft,’ ‘Print Quality‘ or ‘Fast‘ tab.
- Then choose the box saying, ‘Always print with current settings.’
- Hit the ‘OK‘ button.
Disable automatic duplexing and quiet mode features
These features make the printer consume more time to print. Disabling them is one of the good ways to fix these kinds of Canon Printer problems.
- Go to ‘Control Panel,’ right-tap on your printer, and head to ‘Printer Properties.’
- Click ‘Device Settings.’
- Now uncheck the ‘Allow Manual Duplexing’ option.
- Hit ‘OK.’
- Go to Control Panel again.
- Find ‘Devices and Printers,’ followed by ‘Printer Properties.’
- Launch the ‘Maintenance‘ tab, and select ‘Quiet Mode.’
- Select ‘Do not use quiet mode‘ and then click ‘Send.’
- Tap ‘OK‘ on the confirmation message.
Restart printer spooler service
- Open the ‘Services’ application by using the ‘Search’ box.
- Find and right-tap on ‘Print Spooler.’
- Select the ‘Restart’ option.
- Right-tap the ‘Print Spooler’ option again.
- Next, select ‘Properties.’
- Check that the ‘Startup Type’ is ‘Automatic.’
- Press ‘OK’ to save the changed settings.
- Restart your computer and check for the slow printing problem.
3. Troubleshoot Paper Jam inside Canon Printer
Follow this Canon Printer troubleshooting guide if you cannot remove jammed papers from the output slot or the rear tray.
- Switch off and unplug the printer.
- Retract the output tray and open it.
- If you notice the jammed paper below the ink cartridge holder, shift the holder to the left or right-most part.
- Grasp the jammed paper strongly in your hands.
- Gently pull the paper out, so it doesn’t tear.
- Remove all the stuck paper in the printer.
- Inspect for bits of paper in the cartridge holder and printer.
- Close the cover.
- Cancel all printing jobs in the queue.
- Start printing again.
4. Fix Canon Printer Printing Blank Pages
Canon printer prints blank pages due to dirt accumulating within clogged printhead or low ink levels. For troubleshooting Canon printers printing blank pages, use these measures.
Carry out a deep clean.
- Using the Control Panel, open ‘Devices and Printers.’
- Right-tap on your Canon printer and choose ‘Properties.’
- Go to the ‘Device Settings’ section and click ‘Preferences.’
- Choose ‘Printhead‘ and tap ‘Services and clean printhead.’
- Use this option multiple times till the printhead is thoroughly cleaned.
- Go to the ‘Maintenance‘ tab and choose ‘Deep Cleaning and Nozzle Check.’
- Do a print test.
Clean the printhead
- A clogged printhead is another cause of Canon Printer problems.
- Power off your Canon printing device.
- Now access the printer’s cartridge.
- Take away the cartridge and place it on a stable and clean surface.
- Take a cotton cloth and gently wipe the cartridge.
- Put it back into your printer.
- Close the cartridge access door.
- Power on your printing device and run a test print.
Insert another cartridge
Your existing cartridge may have run out of ink. It causes it to dry up fully. If you let it remain in this condition, you will get indicators of low ink from your printer. Besides, you will inevitably encounter your printer printing blank page. So, replace the old cartridge with a new one before it dries up.
Update Canon Printer driver
Troubleshooting Canon printers printing blank pages also involves finding if you have the latest printer driver.
- Launch the ‘Search‘ box by hitting the ‘Home‘ key + S.
- Tap’ Device Manger.’
- Once there, tap the ‘Print Queue’ option.
- Right-tap on your Canon printer and choose the ‘Update Driver’ option.
- Find whether there’s a pending update.
- If there is one, choose it, and install the update.
- Once you have updated the driver, start your system again.
- Run a print test.
- If you still find your printer printing blank pages, reinstall the driver.
- Look for your Canon printer driver in the ‘Programs and Features’ section.
- Right-click it and hit ‘Uninstall.’
- Restart the computer and download the printer driver from the official Canon website.
5. Fix Canon Printer Connected but Not Printing
Sometimes, your printer may be connected, but not print correctly. Use this Canon printer troubleshooting guide so that you can print documents properly.
- Check the ink levels.
- If they are low, replace the cartridges.
- Head to the official Canon website and install the latest printer software.
- Remove print jobs from the queue if your printer fails to print anything.
- In addition, check that the error lights of the Canon printer are constantly flashing.
Make Your Canon Print Functional Again
Use this troubleshooting guide and get rid of the numerous Canon printer-related issues. Find the instructions for your specific problem and overcome it easily. If you want more assistance to fix printer errors, consult a professional printer technical support service.