One of the most annoying issues Canon Printer users face is when they find Canon Printer not printing black. The most likely reason for the issue is clogged cartridges and an obsolete printer driver. If this printer doesn’t print black, you’ll be unable to print quality documents for your needs.
But the good thing is that troubleshooting the issue isn’t difficult. In this post, you will find several effective fixes for making your Canon printer print properly.
You can use these fixes in the manner prescribed or use one if you think it will fix a specific issue.
Method 1. Set your Canon printer as the default device
- To set your existing Canon printer as the default printing device, launch the ‘Control Panel.’
- You can open the Run dialog box to navigate to this section.
- After that, tap ‘Devices and Printers.’
- From here, check if your Canon printer is the default printer.
- If it isn’t, that’s the reason for the Canon printer not printing color.
- Right-click on your printer and opt for the ‘Set as default’ option.
- Now, you will see that it acquires a green checkmark.
- That’s it. Try printing and see if it prints black.
Method 2. Clean your printing device
It is another essential troubleshooting you need to use. If you have not used the Deep Clean option in your printer for long, you’ll question why is my Canon printer not printing.
- Turn on the Canon machine.
- Keep A4-size papers in its tray.
- Now, open the output and paper tray extension.
- To begin cleaning, press the ‘Tools’ symbol. It is on the control panel of the printer.
- Next, select ‘Setup.’
- Using the arrow keys, head to the ‘Maintenance’ menu.
- Press ‘OK.’
- After this, pick the ‘Deep Cleaning’ option in the menu.
- Hit ‘Yes’ followed by ‘OK.’
- When the deep cleaning commences, don’t do anything in between.
- It will take approximately three minutes for the printer to get cleaned.
- Soon after, you will notice a pattern print confirmation on your screen.
- Press ‘OK.’
- Now you won’t find your Canon printer not printing
Method 3. Update your Canon printer driver
Updating the printer driver will get you rid of various issues. Here’s the simple process to update it.
- Locate the ‘Device Manager’ section on your system.
- Use the Windows ‘Start’ function to head to Device Manager.
- Here, expand the section ‘Print Queues.’
- Next, opt for your Canon machine and right-click it.
- Now choose ‘Update driver.’
- You should click on the ‘Search automatically for drivers’ option.
- After Windows searches for the printer drivers, they will get installed.
- You can restart your system and take a test print. Most probably, your Canon printer will print correctly.
Method 4. Find whether your printer is currently offline.
In case you’ve enabled the ‘Use printer offline’ option and don’t know about it, you’ll wonder, why is my Canon Printer not printing.’
- Access the ‘Control Panel’ on your Windows system to uncheck the offline status.
- Once you are there, tap ‘Devices and printers.’
- In the printer catalog, locate your Canon printer and right-tap it.
- Now choose the ‘See what’s printing’ option.
- Ensure to unselect the ‘Use printer offline option.
Method 5. Change the defective cartridge.
Over time, printer cartridges tend to become faulty and ultimately stop working. Use this procedure to replace the ink cartridge.
- Power on the Canon printer.
- Now, open its front door.
- When the paper output tray opens, remove the papers in the cassette.
- Now open the output cover of the paper.
- The cartridge holder will take the replacement position.
- In case the output cover remains open for over 10 minutes, the cartridge holder can move.
- In this case, close and open the output cover again.
- Now push down on the ink cartridge till you hear a click.
- Remove the ink cartridge.
- Take out the new cartridge and remove its protective tape.
- Insert this cartridge into the cartridge holder.
- Ensure to insert the black cartridge on the right and the color cartridge on the left.
- Push it in till you hear it snap into place.
- The cartridge should be properly lined up with others.
- Finally, close the output cover.
- Give a print command and check for the issue.
Method 6. Update your Windows system
It is a really easy fix to perform when you find a Canon printer not printing the correct colors. Update your Windows operating system with these steps.
- Open the ‘Settings’ area by pressing Windows and I keys.
- Next, pick the ‘Windows Update’ tab.
- Hit the ‘Install all’ button.
- If you find no installation updates, click ‘Check for updates.’
- After your Windows system updates, restart it.
- Now, your Canon printer outputs will be correct.
Method 7. Delete pending Canon print jobs
Sometimes, there are several print jobs in the print queue. It can lead to the issue of the Canon printer not printing color correctly.
- Input ‘services.msc’ in the Run box.
- When the Services window opens, scroll down till you find the ‘Print Spooler’ option.
- Point your cursor on it and click ‘Stop.’
- When the service stops, launch the Run box.
- In it, input ‘spool.’
- Press ‘OK’ button.
- Now, launch the ‘Printers’ folder.
- Delete every file present here and close the folder.
- Head back to the Services window.
- Right-click the ‘Print Spooler’ again and opt for ‘Start.’
- Give a test print command.
Method 8. Turn off the system firewall.
A firewall interferes with many programs. You can disable it for a while if you still question why is my Canon printer not printing color.
- Use the Search bar in Windows to get to the ‘Windows Defender Firewall’ section.
- Now, click ‘Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.’
- Turn off the firewall on private and public networks.
- Confirm the changes and check if the printer gives accurate printouts.
Method 9. Align the printer cartridges
- When you find the Canon Printer not printing black, try aligning the cartridges.
- Turn on your printer.
- Check for paper in the tray.
- Launch the setup icon.
- Open ‘Tools.’
- Use the right arrow button to launch the ‘Align printer’ option.
- Tap ‘OK.’
- An alignment page will print.
- Close the lid and press ‘OK.’
Hopefully, these solutions will prove helpful when your Canon printer doesn’t print black. They will also ensure that your system and printer drivers become current. If you still get any problems or want to fix printer errors, contact a printer technical professional.