Printers today have become a thing of necessity. Canon printers work immensely well in helping people perform daily work. But if you find your Canon printer in error state, it can halt all printing tasks. Some common causes for this issue include incorrectly installed drivers, connectivity and BIOS issues, and incorrect USB cable connection. There are various ways to deal with this problem. In this troubleshooting guide, you’ll learn about the best fixes in detail. Here are the different fixes you can start implementing.
1. Ensure that the Printer is online
One of the prominent reasons for Canon Printer is in an error state is that it is offline. Resolve it by following these points.
- Find the ‘Control Panel’ section using the Windows search feature.
- Choose the ‘View Devices and Printers’
- After that, select your printer mode.
- If it is offline, right-click it.
- Choose ‘Use Printer Offline‘ from the dropdown.
- Now your printer will not be in an error state.
2. Check the connections
It’s also possible to resolve the Canon Printer in an error state by verifying the connections.
- Find whether there’s a stable connection between your Canon printer and the system.
- There shouldn’t be any problem with your wireless network.
- In case there is, fix the connection.
- Now run a test print.
3. Reinstall/update the Canon printer driver
You will also find that the Canon Printer is in error state in case of an outdated printer driver.
- Head to the Canon printer website.
- Here, find the drivers and software of your printer.
- Tap’ Download.’
- After that, install the file in your system.
- To install it, open the downloaded file and adhere to the on-screen guidelines.
- Finally, tap ‘Finish.’
- After that, restart your system and Canon printer.
4. Perform a hard reset of the Canon printer
Doing a hard reset is also a good solution to use for printer in error state. It is easy to hard reset the Canon printer. It deletes all jobs and data in the memory.
- Press the button on the ‘Control Panel‘ in the printer.
- You will see the ‘Reset‘ menu.
- Choose the ‘Soft Reset’
- Hold down the ‘OK‘ key for three seconds till ‘Hard Reset‘ appears.
- Now, release this button.
- Consider hard reset complete when 03 HARD RESET displays.
- After performing a hard reset of the printer, it would be wise to restart your computer as well.
- Now, see if the printer is in error state.
5. Make the spooler service automatic.
Are you still wondering how I get my printer out of the error state? Set the spooler service as automatic. Here are the pointers to follow.
- In the search bar of the system’s Control Panel, input ‘services.msc.’
- Hit Enter.
- Scroll down on this window.
- Locate the spooler service. It is on the right pane.
- Set this service to ‘Start.’
- Now, point the cursor to the spooler and right-click it.
- Select ‘Properties‘ in the drop-down.
- Hit the ‘General’ tab.
- Make the startup type automatic.
- After that, hit ‘Apply.’
- Now, click the ‘OK‘ button.
- Exit the service window.
- Restart the system.
- See if you can use your Canon printer. It won’t show an error state.
6. Modify the port settings
Modifying port settings is another effective fix for the printer in error state Canon problem. Here is the way to change these settings.
- Access the Run dialog box on your Windows desktop.
- When it opens, input ‘devmgmt.msc.’
- This will open the Device Manager.
- Click ‘Menu‘ followed by tapping on the ‘View‘ tab.
- Now, choose the ‘Show hidden devices’
- Locate ‘Ports (COM & LPT)‘ and right-tap it.
- Select the ‘Properties’ option.
- Now move to the ‘Port Settings’ tab from the Properties window.
- After that, choose ‘Use any interrupt assigned to the port.’
- Check the box saying, ‘Enable legacy plug & play detection.’
- Now, click ‘OK.’
- Start your printing device again. See if the printer is in an error state Canon issue is resolved.
7. Restart the router, computer, and printer
The problem can also stem when the router, computer, and printer cannot communicate with each other. Restarting all of them can fix the problem. However, before proceeding, see if there are any lights flashing on the printer. Sometimes, the blinking of certain lights can signal a need for print cartridge replacement. It’s better to head to the Canon website to learn the lighting pattern and use the right fixes.
- Turn off the router, computer, and printer.
- Unplug every device’s power cable.
- Disconnect them from one another.
- Take out the network cables from the computer and router’s back.
- Wait for five minutes.
- Check whether there’s any jammed paper or debris in the printer.
- Ensure that printer parts like cartridges and toners are properly linked.
- Now link back the network cables and power to the printer, router, and your computer.
- Run a test printer and see if the Canon printer is in an error state.
8. Update your Windows
The Canon printer in error state Windows 10 issue can arise if the Windows aren’t updated. Follow these points to update it and resolve the issue quickly.
- Open ‘Settings‘ by hitting Windows and I keys.
- In this section, tap ‘Update & Security.’
- You will see the ‘Windows Update’
- Hit the ‘Check for Updates’ button below it.
- If pending updates are there, tap ‘Download and Install.’
- Soon after, restart your computer.
- If Windows incompatibility was the issue behind the Canon printer in the error state, you would face no problems.
9. Run the printer troubleshooter
Windows 11 users facing this issue can resort to the in-built printer troubleshooter. This utility identifies the internal error and finds the solution quickly. Simply open the troubleshooter by searching for it and let it detect the problem.
10. Disable antivirus
If you still find the Canon printer in an error state, think about the system’s antivirus. It is likely that it blocks access to a module needed for the printer or driver operation. However, do not disable the Windows Defender Firewall and forget to enable it. It is necessary for keeping your system safe and protected.
Now you are fully aware of why you find the printer in an error state and its fixes. One of the measures from this lengthy troubleshooting guide will certainly prove effective. If you want additional assistance to fix printer error, connect with a printer tech expert.