Brother is one of the top-performing printer brands in the market today. However, it doesn’t mean that users do not face any problems in its working. Brother printer in error state is a common problem that arises frequently.
The most probable cause of Brother Printer being in an error state is a faulty internet connection, low ink levels, or paper jams. In this article, you’ll find the most effective fixes to resolve the error state in your printer. Here are some proven ways to make your Brother Printer come out of the error state.
Fix 1. Inspect the connection between your system and printer
This problem can result from connectivity issues between your printer and PC.
- From the Windows’ Start‘, head over to ‘Control Panel.’
- Here, tap ‘Devices and Printers.’
- Tap your printer and check whether it’s online.
- If it’s offline, right-tap it and select the ‘Online status’ option.
- If you see a ‘Ready‘ message, it means your printer is online.
Fix 2. Make your printer the default device
Making your current Brother machine, the default one is also a useful fix for Brother printer error state issues.
- Move towards the ‘Control Panel‘ on your PC.
- Here, pick the ‘Devices and Printers’ option.
- You will find various available printers.
- From their list, right-tap on your Brother printer.
- Now, click ‘Set as default printer.’
- Start your printer again.
- Hit the ‘Power‘ button on your Brother device.
- Remove the Brother printer from the outlet on the wall.
- Wait for some minutes.
- Now, reconnect everything.
- After that, restart your PC.
- Check if the Brother printer is in an error state.
Fix 3. Clear paper jam
If there’s jammed paper, you will definitely see that your Brother printer is in an error state.
- When you see the error LED flashing, open the front part of your Brother machine.
- Let it remain in that state for 10 minutes.
- Next, carefully remove the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly. You can pull the jammed paper out with these components.
- Close the front part but don’t place the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly in their positions.
- Pull out the paper tray and use your hands to remove the jammed paper.
- Open the face-up output tray.
- Pull down the tabs on both sides. It will open the fuser cover.
- Pull the jammed paper out of this unit.
- Close the face-up output tray and fuser cover.
- Now, pull out the duplex tray.
- Like before, pull out the jammed paper from it.
- Keep the duplex tray in its position.
- Put back the paper tray in its position.
- Now, push down the lock lever in green color.
- Remove the toner cartridge from the printer’s drum unit.
- Clear the stuck paper inside the drum unit.
- Put back the toner cartridge and the drum unit in their places.
- After opening the front cover, place the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly in their positions.
- Close the front cover and ensure that the ‘Ready‘ LED lights are on.
Fix 4. Delete the printing queue
You can resolve the printer in an error state Brother by clearing your existing print queue.
- Launch the ‘Control Panel.’
- Now, set the ‘View by‘ to ‘Large icons‘ or ‘Small icons.’
- Tap the ‘Devices and printers’ option.
- Right-tap on your Brother printer.
- Now, choose ‘See what’s printing.’
- Now clear every item present on the print queue.
Fix 5. Start the spooler service again
Since a print spooler service takes care of the printing commands, restarting it can fix the Brother Printer in an error state.
- In the search box, input ‘cmd.’
- Right-tap the command prompt, and choose ‘Run as administrator.’
- To allow user account control, tap ‘Yes.’
- Input the following commands with spaces as shown: ‘net stop spooler.’
- Now press the enter key.
- When you see the message, ‘The print spooler service was stopped successfully,’ input ‘net start spooler.’
- Now, hit enter on your keyboard.
- You’ll see the ‘The print spooler service was started successfully‘ message.
- Now exit the command prompt window.
- Start your system again.
- After that, give the Brother printer a printing command.
Fix 6. Turn on Legacy Plug and Play Detection
The Legacy PnP is a set of specifications geared for the operating system configuration of devices such as printers. Turn it on to fix the Brother Printer in error state.
- Trigger the search box in your Windows 10 system.
- Use it to head towards ‘Device Manager.’
- When ‘Device Manager‘ opens, tap the ‘View‘ tab at the top.
- From the dropdown, hit ‘Show Hidden Devices.’
- Locate ‘Ports (COM & LPT).’
- Tap it and expand its list.
- Now, right-tap on ‘ECP Printer Port (LPT 1).’
- Now, click ‘Properties.’
- Tap the ‘Ports Settings’ tab.
- Choose the option displaying, ‘Use any interrupt assigned to the port.’
- Now, place a checkmark on the ‘Enable Legacy Plug and Play Detection.’
- Hit ‘OK‘ and restart the printer.
Fix 7. Update Brother printer driver
Are you still searching for a resolution on how to fix the Brother printer in an error state? It’s possible that your drivers need updating.
- You can update drivers automatically by going to ‘Device Manager‘ on your Windows 10 system.
- Here, tap the ‘View‘ tab.
- Tap ‘Show Hidden Devices’ from the dropdown.
- Now, tap ‘Print Queues.’
- Right-tap on your Brother driver.
- A dropdown will open.
- Click the ‘Update Driver’ option.
- Pick the option saying, ‘Search automatically for updated driver software.’
- Windows will find the updated driver.
- You only have to go by the instructions to install it.
- After installing the latest drivers, you won’t find your Brother printer showing an error state.
Fix 8. Install Brother printer again
Removing and installing the printer can also help fix the printer in an error state Brother issue.
- Launch the settings of your system.
- Tap ‘Devices‘ and then click ‘Printers and Scanners.’
- Choose your Brother printer.
- Tap ‘Remove device.’
- Confirm your action by tapping ‘Yes.’
- To reinstall the printer, type ‘printer’ in the Windows search box.
- Now, tap the ‘Printers and Scanners’ option.
- Tap the option, ‘Add a printer or scanner.’
- Choose your Brother printer, and tap ‘Add device.’
- Adhere to the instructions to re-add your Brother printer.
Fix 9. Use the Windows printer troubleshooter
If nothing else works, the troubleshooter in the Windows 10 system can also help you fix the Printer in error state problems.
- In the Windows search box, input ‘troubleshoot’ and select ‘Troubleshoot settings.’
- Tap’ Additional troubleshooters.’
- Tap the ‘Printer‘ option, and follow it up by choosing ‘Run the troubleshooter.’
- Adhere to the prompts on your screen to finish this procedure.
Fix 10. Make the printhead clean
- If the printer’s head is clogged with ink, it will not function.
- Open the Brother printer’s door.
- Disconnect the printer’s head.
- Hold the head under warm tap water to clear the old ink.
- Now, pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Apart from hot water, you can also use pure alcohol or non-oil-based cleaner.
- While cleaning the printer head, be very careful because it is quite delicate.
Use these techniques to resolve the error state issue in your Brother printer. If you want more details on how to fix printer errors of any brand, contact a printer technical support service. They will also help you gain a better knowledge of how to use your printing machine properly. They will give you the knowledge requisite for troubleshooting various common errors.